Can dogs eat cashew nuts????

rss
Posted by sweetpea3 - Monday, 04 Jan 2010 7:08 AM
Member since 2008
I am having a problem with one of my dogs,,,,every time I get the cashews out she sniffs them out and drives peeps mad....
Please help because she is driving me mad,,,,will they kill her or are they ok.
Kind regards
Chris
    Member since 2007
    #1 by marian-48 Monday, 04 Jan 2010 7:12 AM
    No, dogs cannot have nuts of any kind, Marian
    Member since 2008
    #2 by yobbo1 Monday, 04 Jan 2010 7:14 AM
    G'day Chris.....
    Mate...can't imagine that they would be good for the pooch....I'm guess'n that they are look'n for a treat..and anything that sounds, looks and smells like something to eat....well...they want in on it.....

Answer.....no do not give to pooches..not good...like chocolate...will probably kill'em.

Member since 2006
    #3 by wishingwell58 Monday, 04 Jan 2010 7:24 AM
    Nuts specially Macadamia nuts are not good for dogs , mainly because they can cause bladder stones.

any kind of seed/nut can cause potential problems even apple seeds which are poisonous.

here's some of the more unusual foods that can harm dogs

ezinearticles.com/

Member since 2006
    #4 by La-De-Da Monday, 04 Jan 2010 9:32 AM
    I can't help think we are getting ridiculous with our pets.
    Dogs have always eaten table scraps and lived to a ripe old age. Whatever was in the days meal they got, ... onions and all. My oldest dog is 16 and deaf, outward appearance no one believes he's 16 he looks more like 10 or 12.

You're not supposed to feed dogs chocolate, well this dog when he was a puppy got into my daughters easter eggs (left on the floor) and had a great time, didn't hurt him one bit. Knowing him he probably ate the foil too., I can't remember. LOL

My other dog loves macadamias and almost begs when I eat them. Until now I have shared them without knowing she couldn't have nuts. I also know people who used to own a macadamia farm and their dog ate maccas day in day out and got run over in good health aged about 9.

You can't give cats milk ... cats have drunk milk since milk was invented. I give my cat milk and will continue.

Not saying you should feed your animals these things, just saying it's getting ridiculous and in some cases I suspect the animal food companies behind  advice like don't feed cats milk and puppies can only have certain food ....very suspect I think.

The animals today are the sickliest lot ever ... gone are the days dogs were dogs and ate what they were given and died of old age with 1 or 2 vet visits per lifetime.

It's an industry now.

Member since 2008
    #5 by mirribears-andcraftsupplies Monday, 04 Jan 2010 6:17 PM
    There are a lot of foods that are harmful to our pets , sure a one of Easter egg might not have done any harm in that case but were not talking a once off , if a pet has access to these types of foods on a regular basis , either they will end up with organ disease or could die , simple as.

What might be ok for one dog doesn't mean it's ok for all dogs , my dog was ill after eating an apple core , yet I'm sure another dog might not have shown any symptoms , but give them an apple core a day and the toxicity would build up and cause major issues etc .

Scraps from the family dinner are a totally different thing then the foods that are on the list as being poisonous to pets .

Even then something as simple as a cooked bone can cause major health issues as cooked bones cannot be digested by a dogs gut , yet people think it's ok to give them.

Common sense prevails and there are foods that should be avoided .

www.humanesociety.org/animals/resources/tips/foods_poisonous_to_pets.html

Member since 2006
    #6 by ejholden Monday, 04 Jan 2010 6:40 PM

Well .... My cat isn't particularly impressed with you lot .......

The comment he tossed over his flank as he stalked outside was something along the lines of
    "Let's see you function without your morning saucer of doubleshot skinny latte ...... "

Member since 2008
    #7 by ebony-rose Monday, 04 Jan 2010 6:40 PM

I can assure you we are in no way "precious" where feeding or anything else concerning our dogs is concerned. There is a great different between being precious and being a responsible pet owner.

It't true that while a certain food may not hurt your pet, it may be deadly to someone else's animal and we are just not prepared take the chance with our dogs.

Member since 2007
    #8 by Bluewren100 Monday, 04 Jan 2010 8:18 PM
    More to do with the hybrid breeding these days I suspect as most point out in our day especially wartime rations dogs and cats ate whatever we could give them.
    I have never known in (76 years) a cat that that did not or could not drink milk do they say an occasional mouse will kill them too now?
    as for dogs we did not even have a vet in our town and Dogs Cats 'ssurvived and were healthy on table scaps, any meat or rabbit they could get and Dog biscuits were hard tack like spiller shapes and not many could afford to buy them.
    Cats would not have sniffed a cat biscuit in their lives
    and I know many who lived to be 18 or more.
    It is the lifestle today not the natural food like milk,eggs or meat that is going to kill them
    Member since 2005
    #9 by nissa1054 Monday, 04 Jan 2010 8:53 PM
    There are always great discussions when the subject of "should I or shouldn't I feed my cat/dog ............"

We advise people, when taking a kitten home, not to give them milk because they do not need it. They are weaned and by giving them (pet or human) milk they will fill up on that and not eat what they should. Thereby not getting the nutrients they need to grow. In the "old days" when we all gave our cats milk (and these were the days before all the fancy milks you can get now and all you got was full cream in the bottles), the foods you bought were not what they are now and when we look back they were junk.

Talk to different vets and you will get different answers as to what foods are toxic. Mind you they will all agree with chocolate and onions. With the other foods, could it be the quantity which is fed rather than what is fed? Or could it be different animals have low tolerance to some foods, like people do?

My dogs, when we lived on a vineyard, ate the grapes. If not from the pickers' buckets but straight from the vines! Every vineyard dog, or visiting dog, did the same thing. They were not affected.

One of my dogs found my daughter's stash of easter eggs and ate a lot of them - no side effects, except for sparkling poos. Now all chocolate is kept in the fridge. However, I do not give my dogs chocolate.

My dogs love nuts - they may get one or two occasionally.

Cooked bones - they splinter, that is why they are dangerous as they can perforate the intestinal tract.

While chatting about what to feed and what not to feed and how animals get into all sorts of things, I would like to share an incident concerning a cat.
    The cat was taken to the vet in great pain and the vet found perforations in it's stomach and intestines. The poor cat had to be euthanased and the vet opened it up to see the cause. The cat has swallowed staples which had come loose from it's sctatching pole. So I would like to post a warning - check the scratching poles for loose staples and if anything is coming loose, please use glue to fix it.

Member since 2006
    #10 by cradlebaby Monday, 04 Jan 2010 9:06 PM
    Nuts NO, I don't know health issues with them, but I do know they can be a choking hazard same as with small children, mine vacuumed up a drop nut before I realized and it got caught on the way down, we could of lost him if Hubby had not of come inside a that precise moment and half scared the poor dog, who then started trying to bark madly and out shot the nut........

When you take the pack of nuts out, take out a special treat for dog as well, something that will only get eaten when the nuts come out.  Liver treats etc, or a dog chew bone, and if it is a big chew bone, when the nuts get put away pick the bone up and put away as well.  I do this with our animals.......

Cradle
    Member since 2007
    #11 by Bluewren100 Monday, 04 Jan 2010 9:36 PM
    YES  of course  is why Vets and Pet Food Products are making millions and no-one can say they are more Healthy
    and  live longer   without the the Vetinerary care necessary now due to modern lifestyle  we cannot pinpoint  cause
    or prove that many Pets live long lives in spite of all the dire warnings   likeonions tell that to the gypsies who fed
    their animals with wild onions garlic all their lives.
    but am certain all the chemically produced food is not as good as they brainwash pet owners to believing.

Member since 2008
    #12 by ebony-rose Monday, 04 Jan 2010 10:13 PM
    Our three 3 dogs are all very healthy, so they vets here doesn't make much out of us loll, though I do agree that many PB breeds are being inbred to death ( literally )

p rob is that these days that even meat, veggies, milk enc enc is so chemically treated that is no wonder that so many animals have health prods. Just look at the HUGE increase in ADD, autism, aspergers etc, it's seems to have become an epidemic

Member since 2009
    #13 by rufusandrubyroo Friday, 08 Jan 2010 1:16 AM
    Most nuts can cause some GI irritation in most dogs, however there are some nuts I would avoid.

The most toxic nut is the Macademia nut.  Cashews, Walnuts, and Almonds should all be avoided.   Plain peanuts and pecans should be OK.

I would recommend not feeding your dog any nuts because of the high fat content.  Too much fat at one time can overload the pancreas and lead to pancreatitis.

Member since 2006
    #14 by kabayan Saturday, 09 Jan 2010 9:22 PM
    Just as someone else said - depends on how much you give them.

Peanuts aren't nuts anyway
Displaying 1 to 14 of 14 messages