Australia Post new Satchels 500gms, 3kg and 5kg

rss
Posted by Nugget01 - Wednesday, 07 Mar 2012 8:31 PM
Member since 2006
Hi All,

Just went to the post office and found new satchels there.  The are called "Post Plus".
They are like the red satchels but have a tracking barcode on them like the express satchels.

This is what I found on the website.

Prepaid Parcel Post Plus satchels offer you a convenient way to send parcels anywhere within Australia. You can also use the Registered Post service in order to receive proof of posting^ and Australia Post will capture a signature on delivery for your item.

Buying Parcel Post Plus satchels

Parcel Post Plus satchels are offered in 3 different sizes, 500g, 3kg and 5kg. You can buy Parcel Post Plus satchels at any Australia Post retail outlet External Link. All prices are inclusive of GST and you can save up to 10% when buying in bulk.

Satchel weight Dimension Price per satchel  Price per pack of 10
1-9 packs
Price per pack of 10
10 + packs 

500g 355mm x 220mm $7.20 $68.40 $64.80
3kg 405mm x 310mm $11.40 $108.30 $102.60
5kg 510mm x 435mm $14.50 $137.75 $130.50

Posting Parcel Post Plus satchels

Once correctly addressed, simply drop your Parcel Post Plus 500g and 3kg satchels into a Red street posting box or lodge them over the counter at your nearest retail outlet. Your Parcel Post Plus 5kg satchel is too large to fit through the opening of a Red street posting box and must be lodged over the counter at your nearest retail outlet.

When posting Parcel Post Plus satchels you will also need to sign the aviation security and dangerous goods declaration which appears on the front of the satchel.

^To receive proof of posting, register and lodge your satchel at a post office with a completed Registered Post lodgment form.

Member since 2005
    #1 by kyliefan Wednesday, 07 Mar 2012 8:41 PM

Thanks for that info - great that we now have the 5kg in Vic.

Does anyone know the new price of a parcel (not the satchel) up to 500grams - my PO said it will be cheaper than the new 500gram satchel but have they no idea of the cost as yet - they always seem to be the last to know.

Member since 2006
    #2 by Nugget01 Wednesday, 07 Mar 2012 8:48 PM
    Member since 2005
    #3 by richbartim Wednesday, 07 Mar 2012 8:54 PM
    Thx Nug.
    Member since 2008
    #4 by magnolia-market Wednesday, 07 Mar 2012 9:00 PM
    >>my PO said it will be cheaper than the new 500gram satchel but have they no idea of the cost as yet<<

$6.60 to post a (non-satchel) parcel up to 500g in weight. And a 500g satchel will cost $7.20 if bought singly, $6.84 if bought in packs of 10. Think I will just change the cost of postage on all items 500g or under to $7.00.

So for items weighing under 250g and too thick for a letter and that used to cost $5 to post,  that's a $2 increase in postage. I wonder what effect this will have on the online sales of small items?
    Member since 2006
    #5 by Nugget01 Wednesday, 07 Mar 2012 9:10 PM
    Australia Post Easy Guide

This is a very handy print out to have.
    Like a cheat sheet for postage charges.

The link below ("easy guide") will take you to the Australia Post website easy guide.
    Frm there just clik on your postcode area and you can print out a cheat sheet for oustage from your zone to everywhere in Australia.

easy guides

The prices in there at the moment are current prices.
    I would suggest re printing your easy guide after the price increase April 2 2012.
    Member since 2005
    #6 by kyliefan Wednesday, 07 Mar 2012 9:10 PM
    Thanks everyone - can always get the info here before the post office knows !

A lot of work for those of us who have parcels currently in the up to 250 grams !

Ridiculous that a tiny smurf or like item is going to cost that much to send !

Take care - di
    Member since 2006
    #7 by Nugget01 Wednesday, 07 Mar 2012 9:13 PM

More info from the website.

What parcels prices will change on Monday 2 April 2012?

A On Monday 2 April 2012, a weighted average increase of 3.8% will apply to the following domestic Parcel products:

• Regular Parcels, Express Post and Express Post Platinum (including prepaid products)
    • Individual price points may be greater or less than the weighted average of 3.8%.
    • A weighted average incease of 10% will apply to eBay flat rate satchels.
    • These changes will affect all franked and metered parcel services.
    • There are no changes to International prices.

Are there any other changes occurring at this time?

As well as changes to our domestic bulk mail and parcel prices the following changes will occur:

1. For Regular Parcels the 0-250g price point is being merged into the 250-500g price point to create a 0-500g price point. This will apply to retail and contract rate customers.
    2. For contract and business customers, any changes to your prices will be as per the letter that was lodged on 29 February 2012. Please contact your Account Manager to discuss these changes.
    3. The Reply Paid Parcels product will be renamed Return Paid Parcels. The pricing structure will change including the introduction of an annual fee.

Why are these price changes occurring?

Under our Act and as a commercial business, Australia Post is required to, as far as practicable, perform its functions in a manner consistent with sound commercial practice. The price increases are required to help manage increasing external business costs.

Member since 2007
    #8 by marian-48 Wednesday, 07 Mar 2012 10:18 PM
    A lot of work for those of us who have parcels currently in the up to 250 grams !

Sure will be  kyliefan , for a lot of sellers of small items. Marian
    Member since 2008
    #9 by sheila-bloke47 Wednesday, 07 Mar 2012 10:44 PM

Please Explain.

How a parcel now costing $6.35 equates to $8.35.  When I went to school 3.8%  & 10 % doesn't equate to a flamin $2 increase.

And what cheeses me off more is what I sell doesn't fit into satchels all that well.  My items are generally long. 

Member since 2008
    #10 by mirribears-andcraftsupplies Wednesday, 07 Mar 2012 11:26 PM
    It also doesn't comply with PayPals requirements for proof of postage , which I think these new parcels may distract buyers and sellers into thinking .

Member since 2008
    #11 by BrerRabbit Wednesday, 07 Mar 2012 11:35 PM
    sheila-bloke, it doesn't say a flat 3.8% increase.  It says a weighted average, which means some things will go up more than that amount and others will go up less than that.  The 3kg satchels are only going up by 20c so they're well under the 3.8%.
    Member since 2006
    #12 by mygifts2 Wednesday, 07 Mar 2012 11:58 PM
     I think I will be phasing out items that can't go as a large letter, or maybe doing bulk lots.  I just can't see people paying $7 postage for a $5 item.
    Member since 2007
    #13 by issabella10 Thursday, 08 Mar 2012 12:13 AM
     Thanks for all the info 
    Member since 2006
    #14 by rjm6572 Thursday, 08 Mar 2012 12:22 AM
    i might post mine in a ebay satchel.....you can still post a 500g satchel for $5.50  and a 3kg satchel for $9.35 and they are trackable.....maybe on the 2nd april they  may rise

i posted a 3kg satchel with AAE yesterday and the cost was $11.05.....bit dearer than ebay
    Member since 2005
    #15 by Suez_Bitz Thursday, 08 Mar 2012 1:16 AM
    ebay have a max post for books of $8.30 in certain categories.  Satchels cost $11.60 (I think) for 3kg

I think Ill be giving  up selling if this continues to happen
    Member since 2005
    #16 by tmbjewels Thursday, 08 Mar 2012 1:21 AM
    Seems Aus Post is making it damn hard to sell smaller items...As a buyer I will no longer but small items within Aust as the postage costs are way too dear....Goodbye online trading..!
    Member since 2008
    #17 by magnolia-market Thursday, 08 Mar 2012 1:23 AM
    There's really two major concerns for me:

(1) changing the postage prices on all 500g and under items that are too thick for letter postage - I'm guessing that could be in the region of 1000 items for me, perhaps 1500. There is no way this can be done in bulk and as far as I can work out, I will have to edit each item individually for postage.

(2) are people really going to pay $7 for postage of a $5 item? or even a $10 item? It's hard enough as it is trying to sell online, but after factoring in the postage cost, almost makes it no longer viable.

t's all so depressing....
    Member since 2008
    #18 by magnolia-market Thursday, 08 Mar 2012 1:25 AM
    suez-bitz

>>ebay have a max post for books of $8.30 in certain categories.<<

you know there is a way round this?

If you have a large book and are going to be sending it in a prepaid 3kg satchel, you can do this by using the "calculated postage" option.

1. Under domestic postage choose "Calculated Cost varies by buyer location".
    2. Choose under services Prepaid Parcel Post Satchels 3kg"
    3. From the weight drop down chose 2+ to 3 kg
    4. From package type choose "Padded Bags/Satchels"

This will display the correct $11.20 postage charge in the postage details section. You can also tick the REGISTERED post box to add the extra $3.05 if applicable.
    Member since 2007
    #19 by Pashmina Thursday, 08 Mar 2012 2:35 AM
    Hi Magnolia - maybe you can make up some mystery packs?  They use to work well for me

I'm selling off a lot of bulk items now - the rest will be donated to my church.  I've been slowly taking in green bags full of stuff, as they use the items to make up gift hampers for raffle prizes etc...

As far as postage goes - it's never ending!  We change prices on Postage - then bam - they put them up again
    Member since 2008
    #20 by magnolia-market Thursday, 08 Mar 2012 3:34 AM
    Mystery packs? No way - I would never buy one so wouldn't expect my buyers to be interested. I tried packs in January (not mystery ones) - that grouped several school items together (exercise books, pens, pencils, rulers, erasers etc) - didn't sell a single one.
Displaying 1 to 20 of 44 messages
Previous123