Removing ice from car window

rss
Posted by bitsandpieces - Tuesday, 07 Jun 2011 6:20 AM
Member since 2006
What is the best way to remove ice from your car window. I know if the water is too warm it can crack the window, but does anyone have some brilliant ideas, besides using the garage which is not available to me.  Also, what about putting a tarp over the window to stop ice, does this work?
    Member since 2008
    #1 by yobbo1 Friday, 08 Jul 2011 4:36 AM
    G'day 'bitsandpieces'

My car is garaged...but my hubby's vehicle is not and we cover his vehicle with 'shade cloth'....this allows the frost to settle on the shade cloth and not the window and we also have a tarp that we place over the bonnet to protect the motor.

Hubby starts his vehicle up for about 15 minutes prior to moving it so as to warm the motor to avoid boiling the radiator.

He also has 'anti freeze' in the radiator....always....it's a must here.

We have temps during winter that plummet to minus 10 so the anti freeze is a must.

Only use cold water on windscreen...but not much use if the outside air is still zero.....will just freeze up again.

I'm guessing that I am way too late with this info....but hope you are able to get something out of it for the future.
    Cheers...Lily
    Member since 2012
    #2 by Morsza Wednesday, 19 Dec 2012 6:41 AM
    I know this is really late, but when I used to live in Switzerland I had an ice scraper, which is really a piece of plastic. Or if you have a credit/store card they are really great too!
Displaying 1 to 2 of 2 messages