What's the warmest doona/quilt? feather/down/wool?

rss
Posted by kiwiroo1212 - Saturday, 23 May 2009 12:46 AM
Member since 2006

HI everyone what is the warmest doona available.??

Is wool warmer than feather/down????? Does it hold it's shape and "Fluff" longer?

What are the warm ones?

What's the difference between feather/down is one warmer?

Im going to be upgrading the kids doona's shortly and want to get them a nice warm snug one each.

Thanks
Kiwi
-x-
    Member since 2007
    #1 by nara120 Saturday, 23 May 2009 12:51 AM
    We have a feather/down one and it's great for warmth but a pain in the butt cos the feathers always end up down one end! lol  Maybe they make them different these days, ours is quite old.  We've had it re-filled before too so that's helped it last longer.  I didn't know there was woollen ones available. 
    Member since 2006
    #2 by kiwiroo1212 Saturday, 23 May 2009 12:57 AM

Hi Nara :-)  kids have old feather ones but have all been complaining they have been too cold..they are older ones granted but they have to go to sleep with woollen blankets on top of their doona's..lol

Is it the % of down in your doona that makes it warm??

Member since 2006
    #3 by yram40 Saturday, 23 May 2009 12:58 AM
    Hi, I have a woollen one and it warm and light.
    Member since 2006
    #4 by kiwiroo1212 Saturday, 23 May 2009 1:00 AM

HI Yram is it "Puffy" like the feather ones? (Love the puffiness of the feather ones)

Does the doona stay in one place .I.e not clumpy?

Can you wash them do they smell??

Is there a percentage/brand of winter doona's better than others?

thanks
    -x-
    Member since 2006
    #5 by melclift Saturday, 23 May 2009 1:06 AM
    we've all got wool ones - love them!! no filling ending up down near the feet and freezing around the neck!  We also have wool underlays on each bed - our youngest has an electric blanket underneath to warm up the bed for him as well....

wouldn't go back to a feather/down quilt - would only buy wool from now on in.  There are different weights available (2, 3, 4 blanket, etc)

there's a little aussie mob who make their own and sell them through field days, etc - I think these have been the best value to date

mel

Member since 2007
    #6 by bits4bumpandbaby Saturday, 23 May 2009 1:08 AM
    From the Tontine website:

Quilt Warmth
    The warmth of a quilt may be affected by the weight and fibre type.

Light warmth
    For those who want the feel of cover, without the warmth.

All Seasons
    Suitable for most people’s sleeping comfort. Warm enough for winter, but light enough for year round use.

Extra warmth
    For those who feel the cold, and require a particularly warm quilt.

Types of Fill
    The fill determines a quilt's warmth, loftiness, durability and appearance.

Synthetic Fill
    Synthetic fill, usually polyester of microfibre, is durable, lofty, resilient and machine washable. It also feels light and provides warmth without weight on the body. The fill in all Tontine quilts in the Breathe Easy and GoodNight ranges feature Bio-guard treated fill which is suitable for allergy sufferers.

Wool Fill
    Warm and durable wool is a natural fibre. It feels heavier on the body than synthetic fill and is ideal for people who like to feel snug in bed. However, most wool quilts are dry-clean only.

Feather and Down Fill
    Feather and Down is a popular quilt fill because it is soft, light, snug and warm. The higher the percentage of down in a quilt the warmer it will be. Feather and Down quilts can be hand washed but it is best to dry-clean them. They should also be aired regularly to keep the distribution of feathers even.

Cotton Fill
    Much cooler than other fills, cotton quilts are best for summer or people who like light-warmth quilts. While they provide a much lower warmth-to-weight ratio than polyester quilts, cotton quilts are just as durable. They also absorb moisture, making them comfortable in summer months.

Member since 2006
    #7 by kiwiroo1212 Saturday, 23 May 2009 1:08 AM

HI Mel do the wool ones smell at all?

What is the highest ratio? the way mine are carrying on they would probably need a rating 6..I swear you would think they were living in Siberia....Lol

A woolen underlay is a good idea...........

Kiwi
    -x-
    Member since 2006
    #8 by kiwiroo1212 Saturday, 23 May 2009 1:10 AM

for you  bits4bumpandbaby ..Lol   thanks for that info.

So either a wool one or one with a very high down content....

Kiwi
    -x-
    Member since 2005
    #9 by chloecat Saturday, 23 May 2009 1:11 AM
    I have had both - first a feather/down one and now a wool.

Feather/down - loved it, except for the filling alway ending up down one end - but if you could find one with box stitching instead of the channels all the better - but still it's not hard to shake and spread the feathers around.  Light, fluffy and cuddly - warm I always only need one blanket, hubby requires more - but that's him!

Wool - mmmm I think they are heavy, flat and stiff - but warm and the filling doesn't move - only have 1 mink blanket on with it at the moment - hubby will probably need more during winter lol  Took a while for me to get use to it, but it's ok now.

If I had a choice - I'd go feather/down - remember the more down the warmer they are!!
    Member since 2009
    #10 by dstjt Saturday, 23 May 2009 1:12 AM
    The warmest quilt is the one I have

Electric quilt, beats the sox off electric blankets retailing around $400 for a QS
    Member since 2007
    #11 by bits4bumpandbaby Saturday, 23 May 2009 1:13 AM

From another quilt maker:

The quality of filling in a quilt is expressed as a percentage of down and feather. Down is the softest, lightest, warmest & most durable filling for a quilt. In comparison, feather is heavier, courser & less durable. The most important thing in a good quilt is the proper balance between quality and quantity of filling. To provide adequate warmth, a predominately feather quilt will require a significantly heavier filling as opposed to a predominately down quilt

Member since 2007
    #12 by bulkbabe Saturday, 23 May 2009 1:13 AM
    FEATHERS have been pulled off birds cruelly in 3rd world nations

feathered items are the direct result of animal cruelty

they are also unhygienic

in a 3rd world nation they held the poor bird down alive or otherwise & pulled the heck out of its feathers so that you can have your feather....down

I strongly oppose anything feathers...(animal = bird)...do you....high time you did

over & out

copyright & disclaimer
    Member since 2007
    #13 by bits4bumpandbaby Saturday, 23 May 2009 1:16 AM
    price no object? I'd go for 100% goose down. Very expensive but the Rolls Royce of doonas! I'm assuming your family has no allergy issues otherwise synthetic ones are good but don't feel as nice!
    Member since 2006
    #14 by kiwiroo1212 Saturday, 23 May 2009 1:19 AM

Thanks for the input  no allergies at all.

coastalkids an electric doona sounds like a great idea..Im going to let my mum know about those didnt even know such a thing exisited she would be wrapped as she always feels the cold (has a medical condiiton) thanks for that

Doona's can get quite technical by the sounds of it.. Goose down as well...never knew they existed thanks bits4bumpandbaby ..how much would one be for a single bed? If its more than $200 i will have to rethink as i have 3 kiddies.

Definately want warmth..not sure about the wool then if they are heavy not sure if the kiddies would like that.??

Can someone answer me if they have a wool doona does it smell atall? When washed

Member since 2006
    #15 by yram40 Saturday, 23 May 2009 1:34 AM
    Hi Kiwi, they stay in place and are not heavyand do not lump.
    Member since 2008
    #16 by Third-girl Saturday, 23 May 2009 1:36 AM
    Hi kiwiroo,
    I have a woollen quilt, but my next quilt of choice would be a feather/down one.  I wash my woollen quilt in the washing machine with wool wash, dry in fresh air and have had no problem with any smell.  Like any quilt though - make sure they are properly dry.
    Have fun.
    Member since 2009
    #17 by dstjt Saturday, 23 May 2009 1:37 AM
    The one I have is made by Sunbeam. I'm not sure if other brands released the heated ones as well? They come with 2 separate cordless controllers with digital clocks in them as well.
    Member since 2006
    #18 by kiwiroo1212 Saturday, 23 May 2009 1:38 AM

HI shalame if you dont mind me asking what dont you like about the wool doona...trying to get input here so i can make an informed decision..Lol

Thanks
    Kiwi
    -x-
    Member since 2006
    #19 by kiwiroo1212 Saturday, 23 May 2009 1:40 AM

They sound great coastal..wouldnt get one for my kids they would probably electricute themselves but for my mum Perfect!!!! thank you so much :-)

Kiwi
    -x-
    Member since 2007
    #20 by bits4bumpandbaby Saturday, 23 May 2009 1:46 AM
    Prices obviously vary on the % of down to feathers, the brand, and whether it's goose or duck down but roughly for a single:

50/50 duck down and feather $125

50/50 goose down and feather $250

95% duck down $325

90% goose down $425.

Not cheap! 
Displaying 1 to 20 of 30 messages
Previous12