steam mops - any good?

rss
Posted by dreamweaver120 - Wednesday, 04 Feb 2009 5:09 AM
Member since 2006
Hi all,
I have almost finished the new renovating stage. Amazing how I find new things to fix up.
I pulled up all the carpet and stained the floor boards. They look fantastic and have a
brilliant shine but now I want to keep them that way.
Does anyone know anything about steam mops and are they any good?
Does anyone have any tips on brands to look for and prices etc?
Any help will be greatly appreciated.  
Many thanks in advance  Claire
    Member since 2008
    #1 by Fishychik Wednesday, 04 Feb 2009 5:12 AM
    Hi Claire - pain in the botty if you ask me!
    Member since 2006
    #2 by gregandali Wednesday, 04 Feb 2009 5:14 AM
    i had a steam mop and wasn't that impressed, however my sister absolutely loves hers.  I just found it took a while to heat up and you ended up with water drips everywhere, just as easy to use a mop and bucket.
    also you shouldn't steam floor boards as i think the heat can affect the wood, altho that could just be the fake floors.

Member since 2005
    #3 by shazbo1 Wednesday, 04 Feb 2009 5:16 AM
    Not overly impressed really.
    Member since 2006
    #4 by crystalfrog98 Wednesday, 04 Feb 2009 5:22 AM
    boobies on a bull
    Member since 2007
    #5 by thecrustyone Wednesday, 04 Feb 2009 5:30 AM
    Yep..mop & bucket's quicker and easier I reckon !
    Member since 2008
    #6 by Earths-Emporium Wednesday, 04 Feb 2009 5:38 AM
    Well we had one for wooden floor boards, quick mop over and perfect the key word being quick after a good sweep..Cyclone ruined our electricals - but I still wish I had my mop. - magic
    Member since 2009
    #7 by BellyCastingAustralia Wednesday, 04 Feb 2009 6:01 AM
    Do not use steam mops on floor boards!!! The steam gets in between the floor boards and makes them swell over time!!! (Coming from a commercial cleaning company owner!)
    Member since 2006
    #8 by ozcontactlens Wednesday, 04 Feb 2009 6:04 AM
    I used mine once and tossed it.............hopeless piece of poopa!!
    skin
    Member since 2006
    #9 by dreamweaver120 Wednesday, 04 Feb 2009 6:11 AM
    Thanks guys looks like I can stay with the good old mop then hey.
    The boards are very old and I forgot about steam making them swell over time.
    Thanks for everything you just saved me from buying another useless gadget
    like I have the space LOL.  Have a great night all.
    Member since 2006
    #10 by Stefanou Wednesday, 04 Feb 2009 6:24 AM
    Hi,
    Not impressed either, hard floors not bad but not healthy for floor boards and leaves wet marks after it dries. Don't waste your money. The best thing in my experience is a Premium Ultra Microfibre Cloth Mop. Not sure of the brand. It is very light and you don't need a bucket and does not leave any streaks and dries in seconds. Leaves no dust or germs. Everyone comments how my floors with little one and a teenager look so clean and shiny and that is my little secret between us. Angie
    Member since 2006
    #11 by piggy8505 Wednesday, 04 Feb 2009 6:53 AM
    Well - I love my Steam Mop! I have tried a couple and there is one brand much better than the rest. My cleaning lady actually used to bring hers and that is how I got onto it.

I am not sure whether I can mention the brand but it is very common and costs about $100 - got mine at Good Guys for $88

As everyone else has said here, DO NOT use them on floor boards though! They cannot be used on the bamboo floors either.
    Member since 2006
    #12 by thegoddess1960 Wednesday, 04 Feb 2009 7:00 AM
    I have used mine on polished timber floors for three years and no swelling...using a mop and bucket leaves your floors much wetter I am afraid.....wouldnt part with mine for quids
    Member since 2006
    #13 by teegz-iz-spunky Wednesday, 04 Feb 2009 7:20 AM
    I have one and I love it! I think it gets the floors much more sanitary, and does not cost me in replacement pads. I just soak, wash and re-use. My househubby on the other hand doesn't like it. So now he uses the mop and bucket. And does a pretty crap job. I wish he would see the light with the steam mop....... :(
    (although I should just be happy I don't have to mop anyway now..... :)
    Member since 2008
    #14 by TheBeadedLady Wednesday, 04 Feb 2009 7:39 AM
    I;m another fan of the microfibre type-have been using the same Enjo one for YEARS! No bucket,no soap,no streaks.
    Member since 2006
    #15 by kidsstuff Wednesday, 04 Feb 2009 8:17 AM
    I use a Valida mop from the supermarket with hot water and a touch of metho, comes up a treat.
    Also have one of those wet/dry wide mop things .  You can go over dry to sort of sweep but then just damped the removable pad and off you go, have spray bottle with water in it for when it gets dry.  Leaves floor lovely and shiny and dries in minutes and only takes a few minutes to do a fairly large area.

Member since 2008
    #16 by hetha08 Wednesday, 04 Feb 2009 9:12 AM

Glad to see this topic raised.
    I was thinking about asking this question this morning when I saw steam mops advertised.
    Seems like the reaction is - mixed - here though.
    I have a squeeqee mop and bucket and floating floor boards and tiles.
    I've used boiling water and metho and also the cleaner stuff you can buy for the boards.  (Smells like metho).
    But I am never happy with the finish I get.
    I sweep, vaccuum and then mop.

Member since 2006
    #17 by Stefanou Wednesday, 04 Feb 2009 10:56 AM
    In my experience (14 years in the cleaning game (main area floors), Cleaning rule you should never use vinegar or methyated spirits on floor boards or any polished floors as with time the floors will look dull. Metho actually burns the polish, vinegar is also an acid. If you are going to use a chemical bunnings have good products for polished floors can't remember name (although I can get it for you if interested). I know cleaners and people who sand and polish your floors recomend vinegar if not metho only to come back and do your floors again in three years time if not sooner. Seen it happen over and over again. You wouldn't clean your furniture with it?
Displaying 1 to 17 of 17 messages