How can you tell the difference between cut glass and crystal?

rss
Posted by marian-48 - Tuesday, 14 Jul 2009 9:56 PM
Member since 2007
As in the question, how can you tell the difference?
I am referring to the old style dressing table tray that was either cut glass or crystal.
NOT listed so NOT advertising.
There would be a price difference also wouldnt there?
Thinking maybe safe if listing to put cut glass as I think that may be cheaper & if its crystal its an added bonus.
    Member since 2006
    #1 by Jakenl10 Tuesday, 14 Jul 2009 10:00 PM
    Weight, feel, look....

I don't know of an official way.  I'm sorry.

Wendy
    Member since 2008
    #2 by rumpelstiltskin Tuesday, 14 Jul 2009 10:06 PM
    I have always checked by 'pinging' the glass with a light flick of the finger. If it emits a clear bell-like 'ping' it is crystal. A duller sound with little resonance is cut glass. It's also a great way to check for hairline cracks.
    Cheers
    Rumpy
    Member since 2008
    #3 by marypoppins Tuesday, 14 Jul 2009 10:16 PM
    I do the "ping" test also, but have never tried it on anything other than drinking glasses. Crystal is also quite heavy like the person above mentioned.
    Member since 2008
    #4 by Earths-Emporium Tuesday, 14 Jul 2009 10:16 PM
    It should ping, perhaps a little more dully than a wine glass because it is denser, also cut glass can be a little duller than crystal, doesn't hold up with time as well as crystal does.  Check for mold lines, points or dots, then you will know it has been moulded.  Cut glass will have a dull thwunk sound when tested.
    Member since 2007
    #5 by samboogem Tuesday, 14 Jul 2009 10:31 PM
    Hi Marian,

Telling the difference can be hard especially if there are no labels on the piece.

In my experience, cut glass is usually not as clear as crystal, hence the saying " Crystal clear "

Weight is not a foolproof way of determining which it is either.

The " ping " test as suggested is fairly accurate.

Lead Crystal usually shows more colours through it when held in light & is more 'diamond looking'

These pictures may show what I am trying to say. Lol

Photobucket

Photobucket

Member since 2005
    #6 by richbartim Wednesday, 15 Jul 2009 2:02 AM
    Try placing it where the sun is shining..if you see lots of small specks of rainbows it is crystal..if not it is glass.
    I know that works with the sun catchers..might work on this too, worth a try.
Displaying 1 to 6 of 6 messages