Does cauliflower develop side shoots like broccoli?

rss
Posted by buzooki - Monday, 02 Jul 2012 1:06 AM
Member since 2008
 Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone has had their cauliflower growing side shoots after you harvest the main head, like broccoli?  I have been harvesting side shoots from my broccoli for a while now, and the cauli is growing great guns, but I dont want to rip the whole plant out if it will grow more heads.

Anyone had any success?

Cheers
Jen
    Member since 2007
    #1 by marian-48 Monday, 02 Jul 2012 1:24 AM

From  a site caled THE GARDEN PATCH, you can look it up on Google.

Harvesting

The size to harvest Cauliflowers at depends on the variety you have grown.

Start to harvest Cauliflowers before they reach their full size to ensure a staggered crop . This will help prevent a mass of crop within just a few days.

To harvest your home grown Cauliflower cut the stalk with a sharp knife but be sure to leave a number of leaves that surround the head to protect it.

If the florets of the Cauliflower head have started to open then you have passed the harvest date. The heads will also start to discolour once past the end of the correct harvesting period.

You can store cauliflowers for up to 3 weeks by hanging them upside down and mist-spraying with water every day.

Harvest the cauliflowers in the early morning when they are at their most succulent.

Once harvested break up the remaining stalk and roots and add to your compost heap as unlike some other brassicas such as Broccoli, Cauliflower will not grow new heads.

Member since 2008
    #2 by buzooki Monday, 02 Jul 2012 1:33 AM
     Thanks Marian,

I did see that site, but there is a lot of conflicting information, some sites say it does grow side shoots, other sites says it doesnt.

I have a no dig raised garden made out of 1/2 sized pallet collars, and everything has rotted down really well, so it does need topping up.  I might leave two I have in one box and build up the other one.

Thanks again,
    Jen.
    Member since 2005
    #3 by chloecat Monday, 02 Jul 2012 2:11 AM
     I've never seen a cauli do it - but that's not to say one won't :)
    Member since 2006
    #4 by unique-dichroic Monday, 02 Jul 2012 8:29 AM
    Nope, unfortunately it doesn't.
    Once you've cut it, that's it.  Same as cabbage...

But the good news is that nothing tastes better than a home grown Cauliflower..SO much nicer that bought ones :)

Deborah:)
Displaying 1 to 4 of 4 messages