pay mate and pay pal

rss
Posted by Thadeuss - Tuesday, 06 Dec 2011 5:47 PM
Member since 2011
 Hello, i am new to this community and i have heard of pay pal before but not pay mate!
Should i be looking into one or the other?
Do they make a difference?
    Member since 2007
    #1 by issabella10 Tuesday, 06 Dec 2011 5:59 PM
    "Do they make a difference?"

As in people using them ?
    I have had a Paymate option for a couple of years not one person used it neither have I ever used my Paymate account to buy anything .

The fees are higher with Paymate and unlike PayPal you are allowed to share the cost with the buyer ( there's an option to tick) but personally I doubt many buyers unless they actually request Paymate would consider using it.

Both have their Policies easily accessible on the web , so do some comparison reading and see if it's something that would suit you.

BTW the "Bid Now" option is a huge turnoff for buyers as they do not have a ending time (edited= visible to them) for the item listed . You may find adding a listing duration to those listings is a better option .
    Member since 2005
    #2 by boo512 Tuesday, 06 Dec 2011 6:17 PM
     BTW the "Bid Now" option is a huge turnoff for buyers as they do not have a ending time for the item listed . You may find adding a listing duration to those listings is a better option .

Just to clarify, Bid Now items do have a listing duration just like other auctions, it is simply hidden from the buyer, the premise being that if they don't know when the item will end, they may be inclined to bid straight away instead of waiting for the last minute.  Turn off the bid now feature and the end date becomes visible.

As for Paymate, it used to be the Aussie alternative, but was sold overseas a few years back.  It has never taken off here, although I understand it is doing well in the US.  I offer it, and absorb the fees to encorage buyers to use it, but I'm lucky to get a buyer paying that way once a year.  Apart from the fees, the biggest difference is all monies are transferred directly to your bank account, there is no holding account as with Paypal.

Member since 2011
    #3 by Thadeuss Tuesday, 06 Dec 2011 6:30 PM
     Thanks for that guys, i got it with the BID now and will omitt to use it from now on, what about the other last minute thing?
    And what about paypal?
    Member since 2005
    #4 by spade Tuesday, 06 Dec 2011 6:40 PM

PayPal fees are high if you sell low priced items but it is a popular payment method for buyers.

You cannot overtly charge more for items paid for by PayPal and you cannot pick and choose which items can be paid by PayPal and which cannot, if you offer it it is available for all purchases

Member since 2007
    #5 by issabella10 Tuesday, 06 Dec 2011 6:47 PM
    the"This auction will extend one minute if a bid is placed within the last 60 seconds"

Possibly usefull if there is a bidding war , unlikely so maybe not an option that is really needed IMO . As a buyer it doesn't bother me but some people seem to find it annoying.

Member since 2011
    #6 by Thadeuss Tuesday, 06 Dec 2011 6:59 PM
     Thanks spade, dont think ill be needing that just yet.
    Isabella thanks again, i wont bother with that one either. Please, what is IMO and BTW?
    Member since 2007
    #7 by issabella10 Tuesday, 06 Dec 2011 7:01 PM
    IMO = in my opinion
    BTW = by the way

welcome to quicksales too

Member since 2005
    #8 by scorchedpeanut Wednesday, 07 Dec 2011 7:24 AM
    Member since 2005
    #9 by scorchedpeanut Wednesday, 07 Dec 2011 7:30 AM
     Personally, they are BOTH as BAD as eachother! They are like banks, for the most part of everyones lives, if you dont use one you are screwed! Having both worked and been unemployed, you cannot get money without a bank or using one at some point. It's a shame, with all the cashed up rich business people out there that somebody can't start a FAIR system up.
Displaying 1 to 9 of 9 messages