NSW - when do kids go back to school?

rss
Posted by crystaltuner - Friday, 24 Apr 2009 9:09 PM
Member since 2006
Before school holidays started in NSW i was told that because of the public holiday on Monday 27th, there was a teacher free day on the Tuesday and then school started back on Wednesday 29th.
However...
Theres no public holiday on the Monday in NSW, so if the pupil free day is then on the Monday do the kids go back Tuesday.
I've tried ringing the public school but no answer.
So confused....
So when do the kids go back to school?? Is it on the Tuesday or Wednesday??

Crystal
    Member since 2007
    #1 by marian-48 Friday, 24 Apr 2009 9:11 PM
    Our local school notice board says teachers and students return Tuesday. Marian 
    Member since 2005
    #2 by dohbaby Friday, 24 Apr 2009 9:12 PM
    Hi Crystal, im on the south coast, nsw, and our kids go back, Wed...primary and high. i was told, it was 'because they are taking a bank-holiday? monday, and tuesday is the usual 'get-ready' day..........my primary kids news letter is Wed, as is the high school one.
    Member since 2008
    #3 by kidskids Friday, 24 Apr 2009 9:12 PM
    Do they have an onlien newsletter? Thats how I found out for a friend
    Member since 2006
    #4 by crystaltuner Friday, 24 Apr 2009 9:14 PM
    Hi  Marian
    I know there is a pupil free day this term. so that notice could mean my kids go to school Wednesday maybe...??
    Crystal
    Member since 2005
    #5 by boo512 Friday, 24 Apr 2009 9:14 PM
    In NSW despite there being no statewide public holiday, the schools are still getting Monday as a holiday. Pupil free day is Tuesday, kids go back Wednesday.
    Member since 2006
    #6 by crystaltuner Friday, 24 Apr 2009 9:15 PM
    Kids i'm not sure if they have an online newletter but i'll go look
    That was a good idea
    Thanks
    Crystal
    Member since 2007
    #7 by marian-48 Friday, 24 Apr 2009 9:17 PM
    Or drive by and take a look, most schools seem to have the big notice board up.Marian
    Member since 2006
    #8 by crystaltuner Friday, 24 Apr 2009 9:22 PM
    I 've tried several schools around the area for their online newsletters.
    Hah what a joke.
    One had the last entry as 2005 and the most up to date (??) was mid 2008!
    Thanks boo and dohbaby.
    I'll also try the drive by idea -  thanks
    Crystal
    Member since 2006
    #9 by Jacqueline-Kay-Jewellery Friday, 24 Apr 2009 9:29 PM
    Ahhh...a question I can answer with authority (an extremely rare event). Calendars for the teaching year are done well in advance and it was assumed when they were done that Monday would be a public holiday as ANZAC day fell on a Saturday. Even though that was not the case, teachers were still given Monday as a public holiday. I am a High School teacher and I return to work on Tuesday. Our school has a pupil free (staff development) day on the Tuesday and kids return on the Wednesday. This will be the case for most schools. But, my daughters High School has decided to hold their pupil free day sometime in May instead of April 28th so she returns on the Tuesday. Schools do not have to hold their pupil free day on the first day of each term. There is some flexibility in it.

You will need to check with each individual school as to when they will be having their pupil free day. But most schools will have kids returning Wednesday.
    Member since 2005
    #10 by radier62 Friday, 24 Apr 2009 9:30 PM
    Hi,
    Here is the info for the  schools when they return to school

http://www.schools.nsw.edu.au/calendar/?do=setViewPeriod&categoryid=21&viewType=yearView

for catholic schools here is the info you need

http://www.dest.gov.au/portfolio_department/calendar_dates/school_term_dates_2009.htm

hope this helps

Miriam

Member since 2006
    #11 by 8989 Friday, 24 Apr 2009 10:37 PM
    yes we are in sydney and the tachers have public hoiday on monday pupil free day tuesday and kids go back wednesday  ithink catholic schools go back monday
    Member since 2006
    #12 by crystaltuner Friday, 24 Apr 2009 11:46 PM
    Wow thanks everybody that really helps

Crystal
    Member since 2006
    #13 by 8989 Saturday, 25 Apr 2009 12:38 AM
    with  spelling mistakes i  made ,think i need to go back wednesday also
    Member since 2006
    #14 by themixedbaglady Saturday, 25 Apr 2009 1:52 AM

Some schools go back on Monday, some on Tuesday but  public schools go back on Wednesday (apparently the Teachers' Federation lobbied for an extra day because Anzac Day falls on a Saturday). That's what I've been hearing on the radio today anyway.

I hope this helps!

Member since 2007
    #15 by ihavethebestuserid Saturday, 25 Apr 2009 3:34 AM
    That is correct.
    The School calendar was gazetted incorrectly, hence why many schools start back on Wednesday (where schools have pupil free days / staff development days on the Tuesday).
    It would either be Tuesday or Wednesday that school starts (for almost all schools in NSW I think) 
    Member since 2007
    #16 by oz-sparkle Saturday, 25 Apr 2009 9:47 AM
    hi Crystal,
    I bet there will be parents dropping their kids off at schools on the Tuesday and the poor kids will be stranded :/

Displaying 1 to 16 of 16 messages