Express Post

rss
Posted by sunlily - Wednesday, 29 Feb 2012 10:49 PM
Member since 2008
Hi, just wondering if anyone knows if Express Post is trackable (e.g. can it be lost in the mail). Have a largish order to send and wondering if it would be better to send items in 3kg satchel and register it or in a 3kg express post satchel (which would be a little bit cheaper) - but can the express satchels get lost? Thanks in advance for your help.
    Member since 2008
    #1 by sonja-76 Wednesday, 29 Feb 2012 11:05 PM
    I have never had one get lost, although they are not trackable I still feel safe using them. sonja
    Member since 2008
    #2 by ThroughTheLookingGlass Wednesday, 29 Feb 2012 11:23 PM
    As a buyer elsewhere I had one get lost. All they could do was track it to the nearest sorting centre, where it went from there is a mystery. I never did receive the parcel, so I won't use them just in case a similar thing happens. cheers, TTLG 
    Member since 2006
    #3 by blackduck Thursday, 01 Mar 2012 12:09 AM
    If a parcel is registered someone has to sign for it to say it has been delivered.  With express post even though it has a tracking number it is just left in your letter box.  Once you have bought the express post satchel and you have that tracking number you as the seller really have NO proof that you actually posted that parcel.
    Member since 2008
    #4 by magnolia-market Thursday, 01 Mar 2012 1:05 AM
    Also remember that Express Post is only available to some postcodes, so there is no advantage in using them for certain areas. Registered is much safer than Express.
    Member since 2006
    #5 by goldswan-lake Thursday, 01 Mar 2012 2:43 AM
    Registering buys insurance.  Express is not insured.  'Trackable' all depends on whether the parcel is scanned at various points.
      I lodged an Express post satchel this morning, and so far, it's not recorded in the system.  I'll check again tomorrow.  By then it should have been delivered.
    Member since 2007
    #6 by AGK2000 Thursday, 01 Mar 2012 5:43 AM
     Monday, at buyers request, I sent an envelope Express post to Brisbane  still hasn't arrived. Tracking is available from receiving po only.
    On the other hand I sent a large parcel via Temando with the only address being name of a farm property and town being 60 km away. Arrived within 4 working days, cheaper than AP, insured and Tracking available all the way. 
    Your choice.

Member since 2005
    #7 by bitemycrankshaft Thursday, 01 Mar 2012 8:28 AM
    Registering buys insurance.

This comment requires addressing... as it is more than a tad misleading.

Registered Post is a service provided by Australia Post.

Australia Post does NOT offer, sell or provide any form of insurance for ANY domestic article

Anybody who suggests otherwise is either totally misinformed... totally full of carp... or simply trying to deliberately mislead people by spinning extremely transparent yarns.

Whichever way... the above orange quoted comment is complete and utter codswallop.

John 8:32 - “And you will know the truth, and that truth will set you free.”

Member since 2007
    #8 by AGK2000 Thursday, 01 Mar 2012 8:43 AM
    From Australia Post website:
     Registered Post provides an added level of security when sending items of value. Our standard Registered Post service offers:
    • proof of posting when lodged at an Australia Post retail outlet
    • a signature obtained on delivery
    • compensation for loss or damage of up to $100.

Member since 2005
    #9 by bitemycrankshaft Thursday, 01 Mar 2012 11:28 AM
    Thanks for supporting my previous statements with some relevant C&P information, agk2000... but it really wasn't necessary... the point had already been quite clearly made.

While it was probably not your intention... such further elaboration could be seen as an attempt to bait the member concerned into a negative reaction.

Best to leave well enough alone, me thinks 

John 8:32 - “And you will know the truth, and that truth will set you free.”

Member since 2006
    #10 by goldswan-lake Friday, 02 Mar 2012 1:02 AM
    OMG, get over yourself Bitey!
  • Admin
    Member since 2005
    #11 by ADMIN Friday, 02 Mar 2012 4:50 AM
    In regards to Registered Post, you can take Extra Cover (formerly known as Insurance) up to $5000 within Australia.

See below:

Optional services (additional fees apply):

• Delivery confirmation - we can return a card to you with the recipient's signature.
    • Person-to-person delivery* - your mail will only be delivered to the addressee (only available within Australia).
    • Extra Cover
      Member since 2008
      #12 by BrerRabbit Friday, 02 Mar 2012 8:32 PM
      Insurance... I always thought the purpose was to cover or compensate a person if something went wrong.  Registered post covers an article up to the value of $100, which means AP will compensate if the article is lost or damaged.  I think that could be considered to be insurance.  

A rose by any other name........
      Member since 2006
      #13 by Nugget01 Friday, 02 Mar 2012 9:42 PM
      Hi,

You could always choose express post platinum 3kg satchel ($17.70) from Australia Post.
      This is an express service but is trackable and requires a signature by receiver.

Features of Express Post Platinum

• Guaranteed next day delivery across Australia within the Express Post network*.
      • Signature on delivery of your item.
      • Automatic compensation up to $100 should loss or damage occur.
      • Extra Cover available - if your item exceeds $100 in value, you can purchase Extra Cover up to a limit of $5,000 from your local postal outlet.
      • Safeguarding valuable documents - when sending documents of value (such as passports, academic records and certificates of title) you are covered for up to $100 should the unforeseen occur.
      • Online item tracking†.
      • Proof of posting - when your item is lodged over the post office counter, your receipt will be endorsed as proof of shipment. This is especially important if you're a seller using the PayPal online payment gateway to ensure that you qualify for PayPal seller protection.

Member since 2006
      #14 by goldswan-lake Friday, 02 Mar 2012 10:32 PM
      An update on the Express Post Satchel I posted from SA to WA two days ago:   I was able to track it this morning, as being 'on board with driver'.
      I have found that usually my Registered Post parcels are not trackable until they've been delivered.
      Member since 2006
      #15 by ejholden Friday, 02 Mar 2012 10:40 PM
      Consider yourself lucky, swanny ....
      Most of my AP items can't be tracked until after they have been delivered ..... which is a bit of a problem when they aren't ....

Insurance
      is a form of risk management primarily used to hedge against the risk of a contingent, uncertain loss.
      The transaction involves the insured assuming a guaranteed and known relatively small loss in the form of payment to the insurer (The Premium) in exchange for the insurer's promise to compensate the insured in the case of a financial (personal) loss. The insured receives a contract which details the conditions and circumstances under which the insured will be financially compensated.

Most companies (particularly Gov't instrumentalities) that undertake self-managed risk policies (as opposed to onselling the risk to an underwriter) refer to payouts as "compensation". This is because the precise amount of the payout is undetermined at the time of premium payment and is included within another benefit service.

Aust Post is one such instrumentality that self-manages loss claims.

Irrespective of the term used, you are still paying a Premium, there are still terms & conditions that apply.

This is why Aust Post only provides Compensation, whereas Temando provides Insurance.

Quack + Waddle = Duck.
      Member since 2006
      #16 by goldswan-lake Saturday, 03 Mar 2012 9:44 PM
      Quack + Waddle = Duck !   I can think of someone else (from this forum) that fits that description 'Quack and Waddle'. 

Member since 2006
      #17 by Feelin-Couture Sunday, 04 Mar 2012 11:18 PM
      It makes sense that they can't fully track all parcels as otherwise the delivery person would have to get a signature every time he delivered and postie would have to carry a scanner.  To do this prices would go up even higher and people who work would complain that they have to go pick up carded items from the po all the time.

What i do object to though is items not showing up any scan at all.  They should at least show when it arrives at the DC and is on board with the driver.  I was waiting on an iphone and the scan said it had gone out with the driver that day at 7:30am so you can imagine my panic over this $1000 phone when it did not come by the end of that day especially when i used to work there and preach that they had a clean floor policy and everything had to go out that day.  It seems this is not the case but it has me wondering where they keep our valuables over night....in a van somewhere?
    Displaying 1 to 17 of 17 messages