Blunder with Aust Post

rss
Posted by montynonuts - Wednesday, 06 Jul 2011 6:42 AM
Member since 2007
Good Evening Everyone
What a day it has been today !

I had a registered parcel go missing yesterday and my phone call today to Australia Post Enquiries told me I could do nothing as the Seller is the one who has to chase up a claim with them

Even though I paid for registered post with person to person delivery to make sure I got the parcel, it was delivered to the wrong address and the people there signed for it even though it was clearly not their name and address and the courier accepted the false name as receipt of delivery

The Aust Post tracking system worked perfectly as it gave us the name of the person who signed for it 

If it wasn't for their name on the tracking they would have got away with it as I was tracking this and saw that it had been delivered to another person and if it was not for the fact my husband looked in the phone book to see if the name was a local one and seeing the people lived in the street behind us, went to get it off them,
They admitted it was there and gave it to my husband.

While AP is not to blame for the people receiving my parcel, they are to blame for delivering it to the wrong address and accepting another name and I will be taking further action on this matter

My seller was willing to send another if it went missing and I am thankful she did not have to

I wonder how many more parcels have gone missing like this.

My suggestion to everyone is even registered parcels has its up and downs and has to be followed up

Edit: Luckily they were listed in the phone book and we have lived here for nearly 35 Years

Member since 2011
    #1 by tvshowsondvd Wednesday, 06 Jul 2011 6:53 AM
    I also had this happen when i moved to newcastle.

I had redirected my mail but didn't realise it didn't include overseas parcels.

The parcel was delivered to my old address.

Luckily my postie hear got me in touch with the big bosses at both mail centres.

They found out who had signed for it and kept sending them a slip to say they had to pick up a parcel from the mail room.

It took about 3 weeks for them to reply.

Once they did they hit them up for the parcel and i was returned.

I bet it happens more than we think.
    Member since 2007
    #2 by remaynerecycled Wednesday, 06 Jul 2011 7:05 AM
    So the seller was the one who dealt with Australia Post on your behalf and found your parcel? They've obviously kept you well up to date on what went on.

Last week a buyer of mine contacted me about a lost parcel and refused to let me chase it up as they preferred to do it themselves. As it was well over due and a few days later they marked it as received I'm guessing that the post office let them deal with it themselves. All they needed from me was the date on the receipt plus I gave them time posted so not sure if they used that or not.

Possibly as with a lot of things involving AP and other agencies it might depend on who you happen to get to deal with your problem as to what advice is given to you.

Member since 2007
    #3 by montynonuts Wednesday, 06 Jul 2011 7:11 AM
    Hello remaynerecycled

As I said before the tracking told us who had signed for it which my husband then found in the phone book and went and ask them for our parcel
    At this stage the seller had no idea that we had tracked the parcel down
    So if we did not get our parcel back the seller would have had to do it

I did email the seller afterwards and told her what happened
    She thanked me and said that it would of been her responsibilty to find it
    Kind Regards
    Monty
    Member since 2008
    #4 by fashion-lover40 Wednesday, 06 Jul 2011 7:48 AM
    unfortunately as a seller myself Ive had a parcel ive sent via registered post missing - I dont  understand how this could happen since registered post is supposed to be a tracked system.  The online tracking system showed no results so already australia post was at fault for not scanning the parcel and unfortunately the parcel got lost in the system - either the buyer was not honest and recieved the item without telling me knowing well and truly there was no info on the online tracking system or someone at australia post ended up taking the parcel?? who knows.. it took me over a month to get a refund for this but i ultimately lost out because I had no choice but to give my buyer a full refund. I'm starting to think that maybe sending items via express post is more reliable than registered post. 
    Member since 2006
    #5 by MissDaisy Wednesday, 06 Jul 2011 9:34 AM
    Well, with all the mail that has gone missing here this year, I have gotten to the point where I don't feel confident of getting ANYTHING.  And now you tell me even Reg. Post is not reliable.  What's a person to do?  I do a lot of mail order shopping. 
    Member since 2008
    #6 by magnolia-market Wednesday, 06 Jul 2011 10:27 AM
    >>I'm starting to think that maybe sending items via express post is more reliable than registered post. <<

Express Post only works if both buyer and seller are within prescribed postcode zones (usually big cities only). A parcel may get to other postcodes a little faster than ordinary mail, but there is still no guarantee it is any safer than any other form of postage.
    Member since 2007
    #7 by issabella10 Wednesday, 06 Jul 2011 5:34 PM
    Makes you wonder how a courier can get the wrong street ? So AP uses a courier to deliver items like this ? Shows you how much I know but we don't have delivery here so everything goes to the PO anyway   .

Unless the people that signed for it were genuinely unaware the parcel wasn't for them - mail theft is serious so they were pretty game.

Glad you got that sorted monty and lucky that the people signed their name legible .

Member since 2007
    #8 by marian-48 Wednesday, 06 Jul 2011 5:48 PM
    Good Morning Monty, yes thats very slack of the delivery driver AND the receiver of the parcel.
    It should be thoroughly investigated by AP, and at the very minimum the postage & registered post fee should be refunded to you.
    How bad for the seller, they could have been out of pocket by replacing, as they would not have the option to check your local phone book to see the receivers name in there.
    May Karma get the receiver and AP dress down the Courier, no wonder sellers have parcels go missing. Marian
    Member since 2006
    #9 by Feelin-Couture Wednesday, 06 Jul 2011 8:50 PM
    Probably a wise idea to explain the differece between normal registered post and person to person as i am not familiar with many sellers taking up the person to person option.

Normal registered post means anyone at the address can sign for it so often on tracking you will see a name that isn't the person you addressed it to - eg/someone else at that address.  This can cause trouble if its a business address or share house.

Person to Person is extra but means only the person who its addressed to must sign for it.

If you have a problem with Aus Post get the operators name then demand the call be escalated to a supervisor. 
    You can also make a report to the postal industry ombudsman and if its not resolved appropriately within the 10 working day charter AP can be liable for a $2000 fine.
    Member since 2007
    #10 by remaynerecycled Wednesday, 06 Jul 2011 9:25 PM
    I think the person at AP told you wrong. Maybe the compensation for lost items might have to be claimed by the person sending but anyone can put in a customer service complaint form to have them go looking for the parcel.

I remembered that I had one from last week that was never lodged so got it out to have a look. It has tick boxes for either s sender or addressee to fill out the details and the customer declaration at the bottom reads:

blah blah......I have read the conditions on the reverse of this sheet and as the sender/addressee I wish to assign any entitlement to the sender/addressee. And then a promise to let AP know if the item is deliverd to either of the two

the tick boxes cover lost items/missing contents/damanged items/express post service failure

If it happens again that you need to chase something up there as a buyer grab a copy of that form and read it out to them. I can't see anything on it to say a buyer can't claim so long as they know where and when it was sent and the dollar value they want if it isn't found.

There is another form to fill in after that one to get the money back so maybe that's the one only a seller can sign? I don't have a copy of that on hand.
    Member since 2005
    #11 by bitemycrankshaft Wednesday, 06 Jul 2011 10:25 PM
    I can't see anything on it to say a buyer can't claim
    That's because anybody can claim - provided the sender has assigned them their rights... however, under normal circumstance (and without the sender's written waiver) only the sender can claim for a lost article.  This is quite clearly stipulated under section G6.2 of the General Post Guide (see screen shot below)... so there is no need to include the same information on the form... as it is considered to be common knowledge.

anyone can put in a customer service complaint form to have them go looking for the parcel 
    AP will not commence any investigation relating to a lost article without proof of lodgement... this can be in the form of a lodgement receipt, or a bulk pack receipt (in the case of satchels as an example)... but they will not even consider action based solely on the addressee's word that an item has actually been posted... because generally the addressee is simply not privy to any of the lodgement/non-lodgement details.

Therefore, while anybody can physically lodge a form... there is really no point... because unless the relevant information is provided by the sender... the form will only ever be used to wipe twice and file in the Caroma filing system.

When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so
    long at the closed door, we do not see the one which has opened for us.
    Member since 2005
    #12 by pisces-oztion Wednesday, 06 Jul 2011 11:22 PM

From what I can see the seller does not need to put in a claim for a refund in this case as the parcel was retrieved from where it had been delivered, but Monty's point is that she was told the Seller would have had to make the claim for a refund.

Anybody can put in a Customer Service Complaint at any time for any reason, even if it does not relate to online selling and is nothing to do with the claim for a refund for a lost article.

The AP Courier broke the agreement to deliver a Registered Article with the extra Person to Person signature required.
    Furthermore, he allowed the wrong person at the wrong address to claim it as his, which is Fraud by Deception and if it was me I would have reported him to the Police.

And no matter what any postal worker says, when a person pays to have something delivered by AP, Temando or any other courier service, they are legally responsible to deliver it.
    Just as any other worker is responsible to carry out their duty of employment.

Member since 2007
    #13 by montynonuts Wednesday, 06 Jul 2011 11:36 PM
    Good Afternoon Everyone

I rang the aust post ombudsman this morning to complain about my parcel going to the wrong person and wrong address after not only paying for registered post and the extra for person to person

After explaining it all to her I was told that this is fraud and was given a reference number and I had 10 days to lodge the complaint
    but for me as the buyer to follow it up I would of had to get a waiver from the seller as 
    bitemycrankshaft  said had we not received it

Then I rang aust post and told them what I thought of the whole mess including that we tracked our own parcel down

My point to them was it may of been something of great importance eg it could of been someones medication and worse it could of been someones ashes as I do know sometimes they  are couriered out

They also told me if I wanted to take this further and claim for compensation I would also have to get the sellers waiver

On a good note I am finally enjoying my item no thanks to the Aust Post courier

Member since 2007
    #14 by remaynerecycled Thursday, 07 Jul 2011 1:18 AM
    well as I said I have no idea what's on the form to claim the cash back as I don't have that here with me but a buyer can definitely fill out the customer service complaint form to go searching. And I've never had to produce a receipt when lodging the form but I have ticked the box that says I have a receipt so maybe that's the difference.

I've actually had two buyers go searching for their own parcel in the last week or so and both have found them. I forgot about the ADF one. So I still think it depends on who you get to help you at AP as to what you can do there.

Interesting, I thought that there was a box to tick on this form to say you had the receipt but I can't find anywhere that they even ask you for one so ? and the bottom part of it for the staff has bits where they can tick if they've paid you compensation, refunded fees, turned down the claim etc but nothing about whether they've seen a receipt again. So you must be able to be compensated with just the lodgement of this form, which is able to be filled out by buyer or seller and doesn't ask for a receipt?

Member since 2006
    #15 by myscentualaddictions Thursday, 07 Jul 2011 1:48 AM
    This is the reason I no longer use australia post for anything over 500g , I use Just Express Deliveries prices arent too much different to australia post and they pick up from the door or PO and deliver the same way. Im more than happy with their service. Well worth a look.
    Member since 2005
    #16 by pisces-oztion Thursday, 07 Jul 2011 1:57 AM

"well as I said I have no idea what's on the form to claim the cash back as I don't have that here with me but a buyer can definitely fill out the customer service complaint form to go searching."

Maybe the difference is that one is a Customer Service Complaint that asks the PO to have a look for a missing parcel which the buyer / recipient can do.

And one is a Claim for a lost parcel Refund which the seller / sender does because it is the seller / sender who receives the refund from AP.

Member since 2007
    #17 by remaynerecycled Thursday, 07 Jul 2011 3:35 AM
    well I thought if the parcel wasn't found then you had to go in and fill out another form for your refund but the bottom of this allows for a refund to be given on this form by the look of it.

it has little boxes where they can write refund amount given and date it's been given so ?

but anyway what monty was told is wrong. They said she could do nothing as a buyer and the seller had to chase up a claim when in fact she could fill out the lost parcel forms and find out whether the parcel could be found or not, at the very least. If the parcel was found to have disappeared then it might be a whole different ball game, but telling her she couldn't do anything and had to get the seller to do it all was actually wrong.

Go grab one of these forms, ring them back and tell them they were wrong.Will be most satisfying for you.

Oh and I've definitely lodged a form that sent them searching for parcels without producing the receipt. I had it so I knew the date and time, but on the form they only need an approximate time not the actual time to the minute that it was lodged. But no one asked me to show it to them so I took it back home with me unseen.

ooo hang about......so if that bit cranky posted is right, if a parcel is damaged or goods are broken the buyer has to go chase it up with  AP not the seller? Which makes at least part of the I can't be responsible for what AP does to a package TOS actually quite right? It's not the sellers repsonsibility unless AP claims poor packaging?
    Member since 2005
    #18 by pisces-oztion Thursday, 07 Jul 2011 4:40 AM

You seem to have misunderstood the whole post which is about how even a Registered and / or Person to Person delivered parcel is no guarantee that it will be received by the right person.

I read it as how she was told that she could not claim a refund for a lost parcel as the seller had to do that, "I had a registered parcel go missing yesterday and my phone call today to Australia Post Enquiries told me I could do nothing as the Seller is the one who has to chase up a claim with them"

Also as she found the parcel herself by using the tracking system there was no need to put in a form for anything. "The Aust Post tracking system worked perfectly as it gave us the name of the person who signed for it "
    and
    "They admitted it was there and gave it to my husband. "

Thirdly, the compensation the Ombudsman told her she may be eligible for is for the cost of the Registered Fee and the cost of the Person to Person fee she paid for which was not done.

And finally the people who signed for the parcel which was not addressed to them committed an offence and the AP courier broke all of the rules by delivering to the wrong person at the wrong address (even though it had the correct address on the parcel) and accepting a signature which was not the one on the Person to Person bit.

And on that note, I'm out of here.

Member since 2007
    #19 by Pashmina Thursday, 07 Jul 2011 6:35 AM
    Glad to hear it got sorted and the people gave it back to you Monty
    Member since 2007
    #20 by remaynerecycled Thursday, 07 Jul 2011 6:48 AM
    the ombudsman told her she could claim compensation?

I thought person to person was different to registered post though?  While this one was delivered to the wrong address and the person signing for it knew it wasn't theirs, had it been delivered to monty's address mister monty or anyone else at the house could have signed for it legally yes?
Displaying 1 to 20 of 48 messages
Previous123