What is double knitting yarn?

rss
Posted by Tippy54 - Sunday, 02 May 2010 11:07 PM
Member since 2008
Hi.  Could someone explain what is double knitting yarn?
Haven't used it before and it is mentioned in a pattern I want
to start.  I was going to use 8ply but it must be different.

I apologize  now if this is a really dumb question.

Thanks.   Tess
    Member since 2006
    #1 by jojcraft Sunday, 02 May 2010 11:19 PM
    It is 8ply  use ....size 8 needles... & size 10 for bands
    Member since 2005
    #2 by remayne Sunday, 02 May 2010 11:35 PM
    I've always thought it was 8 ply but I saw a pattern the other week that had 5 ply sized needles used with it so now wondering too.

If it was a fairaisle type pattern with bigger needles I'd have thought yess because fairaisle can be tight knitting, but not to go smaller sizing.
    Member since 2010
    #3 by tokyo4 Monday, 03 May 2010 12:05 AM
    Lincraft makes a label called "double knitting" yarn. It is indeed 8 ply. I have it. What I pressume they mean is that it suits knitting 2 yarns together to achieve various results.

FFS
    Member since 2008
    #4 by chooky99 Monday, 03 May 2010 12:10 AM
     If it is 8 ply, as I'm not sure, you would use 4mm needles and 3.25 for the bands.

There used to be a double knit in a baby wool brand, and it was twice the thickness. Like, most baby stuff is knitted in 4 ply, and this wool was equivalent to 8 ply. 

Member since 2005
    #5 by remayne Monday, 03 May 2010 12:50 AM
    Even on equivalency charts it's listed as an 8 ply but this one pattern did make me wonder if it wasn't as general as I'd thought.

Just dug the pattern out. Cabled mans jumper in "double knitting yarn" no brand given, needles are 3.25 and 3 or 11 and 9 which to me means five ply.

So after years of smugly thinking it was 8 ply I'm now not so sure. I'm going on the theory that most is 8 ply.
    Member since 2008
    #6 by Toddlers-to-Teens Monday, 03 May 2010 2:17 AM
    I've always assume it to be 8ply. It is a term commonly used in England for knitting yarns.
    Jackie
    Member since 2008
    #7 by BrerRabbit Monday, 03 May 2010 2:32 AM
    Yes, 8 ply wool has always been called double-knitting yarn in England.  Have a look at the tension and compare it to your other knitting patterns and it'll probably be the same as for 8-ply.  Tension swatches are usually knitted in normal stocking stitch so it probably doesn't matter what this actual pattern is, or whether it uses different needles because of the type of pattern (stitches).
    Member since 2008
    #8 by Tippy54 Monday, 03 May 2010 5:22 AM
    Thanks everyone.
    The pattern I am using is from a book published in england.
    I will go ahead and use my 8ply.  You are all great.
    Thanks again.    Tess.
    Member since 2005
    #9 by nefer_sold Monday, 03 May 2010 7:19 AM
    Tess

I would strongly suggest that you do a tension square with the suggested needles as per the pattern just to make sure. 

Some English patterns that require Double Knitting yarn are referring to a 5ply not an aussie 8ply.  Just found this out recently after asking a friend in the UK. 

I have lots of UK patterns that use yarns that are called DK - double knit was very popular with Sirdar wools and they were between a 4ply and a 5ply so I use to substitute with patons bluebell which is a 5ply but I always did a tension square and adjusted needles to get correct tension.

Happy knitting

EDIT: 8ply and above is usually referred to as "chunky double knitting yarn" in the UK.
    Member since 2006
    #10 by MissDaisy Monday, 03 May 2010 8:56 AM
    Yes, it's definitely 8 ply.  Remayne have you checked your needle conversion?  perhaps that's not right.  I don't have one right handy at the moment, or I would.  Otherwise, I would query that pattern. but double knitting is definitely 8 ply.  I'm using 11 and 9s now with 8 ply, because I am very loose knitter and I'm sick of the results.  I think the usual sizing is 10 and 8s.  not sure of the conversion offhand.
Displaying 1 to 10 of 10 messages