School Fete - Craft Ideas

rss
Posted by QuotesGalore - Thursday, 24 Jun 2010 4:15 PM
Member since 2008
Hi, my daughters class has been assigned the "craft stall" at the fete this September........having not been involved in Fete's before how doese it work for the Parents.  Details such as the date and what each class has been assigned is all that has been mentioned so far, but I'm guessing as Parents we are to make "something crafty" that can be sold on the day?.........If this is the case, what in the way of SCRAPBOOKING sells well that is quick and easy to mass produce?
    Member since 2009
    #1 by giftsforbubandmore Thursday, 24 Jun 2010 4:32 PM
     xmas cards as sept to xmas time not that far away.

When we did ours as a group we got cakes of soaps and washers and kids made little bagged soaps .
    Member since 2006
    #2 by happyinoz Thursday, 24 Jun 2010 5:17 PM
    Often schools will put notices in the weekly newsletters asking for donations from their school community for each of the stalls.  As a result, you might get some donated craft items from parents of children in other classes.

Craft kits for children are often popular (eg: instructions and supplies enclosed in a snap-lock bag to make beaded bracelets, cards, ornaments, etc). 

As mentioned previously, cards (Christmas, birthday. etc).

Any parents who like to sew?  Perhaps, ask for unwanted fabric donations and pass them on to the parents who sew and see what they can make.

Suggest parents clean out their craft cupboards and see what you can use.

Good luck!
    Member since 2007
    #3 by purpleshopaholic01 Thursday, 24 Jun 2010 6:00 PM

bath salts or bath bombs are cheap and easy to make , if you have a cuttlebug cut out some dies and you can sell them  , bookmarks are easy to make or gift tags

Member since 2008
    #4 by rumpelstiltskin Thursday, 24 Jun 2010 6:09 PM
    When I was the coordinator of crafts for our school fair some years ago now our biggest seller by far were handmade Christmas ornaments made from scraps of felt
    Member since 2007
    #5 by mardyw Thursday, 24 Jun 2010 6:21 PM
    Try and arrange with a few other mums to set up a small sub committee to check what people can & cant do.  No point having heaps of one thing only.  I am sure there will be plenty who are crafty who will help you.  Kids love to make things for their own staff.  Agree with the cards, bookmarks & decos etc.  Matchbox babies are also very popular and easy for the kids to make.

Member since 2006
    #6 by happyinoz Thursday, 24 Jun 2010 7:25 PM
    Hi,

Whilst looking for some events info for Melbourne, I discovered this site which you may find helpful:  http://www.fetesandfestivals.com.au/

It contains a crafts ideas section, which includes instructions and recipes for making various items such as bath bombs, Christmas ornaments, fairy wings, etc.

This website might be useful to others responsible for other stalls at your fete.

Good luck!

happyinoz
    Member since 2006
    #7 by stumpy007 Thursday, 24 Jun 2010 7:57 PM
    At my daughters school fetes hand painted items were very popular as in folk art. Her teacher was fab at this. They sold lots of items, including painted hair brushes, glasses cases, trinket boxes etc...there is a huge amount of wooden craft stuff unpainted at the cheap shops. Letters of the Alphabet are popular for decorations in childrens rooms too.
    I still have the glasses case she bought me many years ago! Love it!
    Member since 2008
    #8 by QuotesGalore Friday, 25 Jun 2010 4:51 AM
    Thanks everyone for all the ideas........I just got home from work so I'll go read them all and check out the links.....Keep the ideas coming though, the more I have the better....thanks
    Member since 2006
    #9 by MissDaisy Saturday, 26 Jun 2010 10:27 AM
    If you're not sure what it means, you should ask first. Good communication is everything.
    Member since 2006
    #10 by dutchmiranda Saturday, 26 Jun 2010 11:03 PM
    What you can do is collect those big milo and coffee tins and decorate them. Or any old tin can be prettied up. I will look for a photo online and post it.

Edit:

Member since 2006
    #11 by dutchmiranda Saturday, 26 Jun 2010 11:14 PM
    Premade mini albums are easy and good too. They seem to be populaire.

Member since 2008
    #12 by cherryn12 Tuesday, 29 Jun 2010 6:43 AM
    Handmade cards are a great idea - Christmas 10 packs would be great as in September you are starting to remind everyone about christmas. Another idea would be a pack of notecards very easy to do. I am happy to answer any questions.
    Cherryn
    Member since 2006
    #13 by cyndicreations Wednesday, 30 Jun 2010 6:11 AM
    cover notepads and excercise books ie journals, sticky notes holders, fridge magnets, scrunchies for hair, hair clips, earings, necklaces, bracelets. lots of kidslike to buy stuff. small decorated frames for people to buy. decorated mini canvas's with sayings onthem...
Displaying 1 to 13 of 13 messages