Need Help - Hemming Wedding Veil Tulle

rss
Posted by issabella10 - Wednesday, 13 Apr 2011 2:18 AM
Member since 2007
Soooooooo not into sewing , and I need to hem Ivory Tulle ( very soft and fine Tulle)

I have a Janome machine with these stitches ( see photo)

Could someone help me with which stitch ( needs to be fine ) would be best and can I use the standard foot ?

I think I only have one other foot which might be a zipper foot

Member since 2006
    #1 by xentric-emu Wednesday, 13 Apr 2011 3:15 AM

I would select D, which is the stretch zigzag stitch on a very narrow width and narrow length.  Do a trial bit first.  I am not sure whether you need a stiff hem or not, but you may need to use some sort of cording or backing to do the hem.

If you are adding lace as you hem, you could probably get away with a straight stitch.

Alternately, if you have a rolled hem foot, I would be using G and a thin cord and do a rolled hem.

The big secret is to get it right on trial pieces before tackling the real McCoy.

Good luck!  Not fond of tackling tulle sewing at all :)

Member since 2005
    #2 by nefer_sold Wednesday, 13 Apr 2011 5:26 AM

A lot of profssionally made veils have a lightweight fishing line in the hem all the way round so you get that fullness and floaty effect in the hem so it falls in waves rather than flat against the body.  You would usually use a rolled hem foot or Stitch E or F or G.  Best to test any stitch on a scrap first.  You may find one of the other stitches works fine.

Member since 2005
    #3 by richbartim Wednesday, 13 Apr 2011 5:50 AM
    it is not really fishing line. it is an invisible thread.
    as you said it is very fine...like fishing line.
    Member since 2007
    #4 by issabella10 Wednesday, 13 Apr 2011 7:40 AM

deep breath , I can do it lol

Ok will try tomorrow on a sample . But I haven't got a roll foot thingy . Bride also doesn't want an rolled hem edge sigh.

I'm thinking if I can get a decorative edge and trim it close then it might work. I've seen many Veils that are just cut and not hemmed but I want to use teardrop crystals and tiny rose buds so it needs some edging.

I might just get another metre of the stuff and mess with it .

Thank You ♥
    Member since 2008
    #5 by aussiebares Wednesday, 13 Apr 2011 9:28 AM
    Why do you want to hem tule it doesn't need anything.....just cut and that's it....if you really want a finish on the bottom then get some satin bias binding and finsh it with that but as a rule it doesn't need anything, its jast lsft as is after cutting it wont fray or come indone.....I would just leave it, it falls beautifully all on its own....if you hem it it will look heavy....
    Cheers
    Julie
    Member since 2006
    #6 by gold Wednesday, 13 Apr 2011 4:18 PM
    I agree with Julie. I think living it unhemmed would be the most obvious answer, but I guess you have to do what your bride wants. I think it would fall better unhemmed.
    Member since 2007
    #7 by issabella10 Wednesday, 13 Apr 2011 5:42 PM
    I got up in the middle of the night and googled images , it does look better unhemmed.

Saw one where a tiny satin stich had been placed all around the edge and small crystal seed beads placed at the lower middle section wich made it hang nice and looked good. Might try that option.

It's exiting making something like this but daunting as well . I made the 5 Bridesmaids hair pieces and they turned out great so here's hoping I can pull it off
Displaying 1 to 7 of 7 messages