How to remove cooking oil stains from chiffon top?

rss
Posted by JewelleryCafe - Saturday, 10 Nov 2012 3:18 AM
Member since 2006
Hi everyone,
I have a lovely aubergine top I wore to a wedding recently. The fabric is polyester chiffon.Unfortunately , I must have lost some food down the front and the grease stain is showing even though I preened it before washing.Is there any sure fire way of cleaning this other than take it to the dry cleaner?
Any help  would be appreciated as I love this top.
Cheers Sylvia
    Member since 2008
    #1 by buzooki Saturday, 10 Nov 2012 3:25 AM
     Hi Sylvia,

I use Preen Vanish Ultradegreaser to remove oil stains.  I removed the cooking oil spots from a couple of my tshirts with it and it worked a treat. It is in a pink tin. I hope it works for you as well as it worked for me.

Cheers
    Jen
    Member since 2006
    #2 by kidsstuff Saturday, 10 Nov 2012 3:26 AM
    I use dishwashing liquid on all stains that are stubborn, especially cooking ones. 
    Just squirt some on the stain and rub it in with your finger then wash.
    A couple of times if it is really bad I have rubbed it on and left it in a sealed plastic bag in a warm spot overnight (like the hot water cylinder).
    This method hasn't failed yet.
    Member since 2005
    #3 by tmbjewels Saturday, 10 Nov 2012 4:04 AM
    I do cleaning and laundry for a job,the best I have found is a pre spray, a better brand one, sprayed on and flold the garment and leave overnight then wash cold water... Works every time for me....
    Member since 2005
    #4 by chloecat Saturday, 10 Nov 2012 4:16 AM
     I did the following to get grease/oil out of my mum's silk shirt once

lay the garment on your ironing board with a couple of layers of paper towels underneath the spot you want to clean, sprinkle talc over the spot and put another couple of layers of paper towel over that then iron over the towel pressing down every now and then to soak up the grease - keep doing this until you think you have soaked it all up - or most of it
    Member since 2006
    #5 by junkyardmomma Saturday, 10 Nov 2012 10:07 AM
    Have to agree with kidsstuff.... especially Morning Fresh (original)
    Just be gentle, let the detergent sit for a while then washyour garment as per normal.

Polyester is 100% washable, so don't worry about doing any damage.

I worked at a dry cleaners for 10 years.

Good luck .......momma
    Member since 2006
    #6 by JewelleryCafe Sunday, 11 Nov 2012 2:31 AM
    Thanks everyone.
    I have used the morning fresh diswashing liquid approach and it got everything out perfectly.
    Cheers Sylvia

Displaying 1 to 6 of 6 messages