Camping spots around SE QLD

rss
Posted by Gumtree-Kids - Saturday, 06 Jun 2009 8:30 AM
Member since 2007
Does anyone know of any bush camping spots, preferably near fresh water, within say 2 hour drive of Brisbane/Logan area?
We had plans on going camping with BIL this weekend at a nice spot where BIL goes, however stupid BIL did not book, nor did he tell us you need to book (or give us a number), and was too lazy to drive out there today (only 20 minutes from him) to check on conditions (dampness) and sites, leaving it to us to drive 45 minutes after hubby got home from work, only to find out it was fully booked out.
The only other place we could find near it (big Tourist place at Tamborine), was also heavily booked.
We have spent the last 3 or so hours searching the web for sites, but they either don't allow bush camping (fires) or are salt water, or no water, or fully booked, or a tad too expensive, or too open. Or a couple I can't find any info on, like phone number and exact location.

We just want something near fresh water that allows us to have a fire, and preferably a bush type setting. Toilets would be good. Showers not necessary.

Can anyone help?
Cheers
    Member since 2008
    #1 by free-spirit Saturday, 06 Jun 2009 8:31 AM
    tooooooooooooo cold don't do it LOL,  stay home with a nice bed, blanket and heater.  grrrrrrrrrrrrrr
    Member since 2008
    #2 by free-spirit Saturday, 06 Jun 2009 8:33 AM
    I am up in the Sunny coast, could give our lawn a go if you want LOL.  Loads of national parks and waterfall within minutes away to vist.

I am afraid you have probably picked the wrong weekend to go away.  Monday and Friday for most of us is a holiday up here.
    Member since 2007
    #3 by Gumtree-Kids Saturday, 06 Jun 2009 8:54 AM
    LOL - thanks for the offer of you back lawn free spirit.
    The cold doesn't bother us. The kids take after their dad, give them a blanket and they sweat! lmao
    Me, well, as long as it doesn't get below 2 degrees I'm happy  which is why I didn't survive any more than 2 winters near canberra, brrrr, too cold down there.

Oh, I so wish we lived near Gladstone or Rocky - I used to go camping up there, nice secluded camp spots that were perfect for escaping for a weekend  and all free!
    Still cursing my fool of a BIL for not booking - the long weekend is exactly why his usual spot is full.
    Member since 2005
    #4 by shazbo1 Saturday, 06 Jun 2009 9:12 AM
    Never rely on relations.They will bugga it up every time :-)
    Member since 2007
    #5 by samboogem Saturday, 06 Jun 2009 9:35 AM
    You can spend a night fishing at The Spit in Southport. I have camped there overnight & had a fire. It gets cold though so be warned!
    Member since 2007
    #6 by Gumtree-Kids Saturday, 06 Jun 2009 9:50 AM
    They surely will sharyn :)

Thanks sam, not quite what we were after though.
    Member since 2006
    #7 by gold Saturday, 06 Jun 2009 10:35 AM
    Try Flanagans Reserve. You go through Beaudesert, then Rathdowney and it's about 15 mins on from there.

It is on the Logan River and the water should be running well these days. Might even be some green grass.

Last time we went it was about $4 per adult and $2 per child, per night. Dogs were welcome.

There are hot showers (20c for 2 mins) and toilets.

www.flanaganreserve.com.au

http://www.aroundoz.com/a_campsite_archive/flanagans.htm

It it normally not too busy on the June long weekend, but as the weather is so mild, I think they might be busy this year.

07 5544 3128

Right next to Flanagans is Bigriggen Reserve, but it is likely to be booked out.
    Member since 2007
    #8 by Gumtree-Kids Saturday, 06 Jun 2009 11:06 AM
    thanks heaps Gold.
    Just been having a look at their website. Looks perfect!
    Will ring them first thing in the morning and check if they have a vacant spot.
    Found a couple around somerset and wivanhoe, but flanagans looks so much better :)

Well, must be off to bed and get some sleep. Lots to do in the morning.

Cheers
    Member since 2006
    #9 by gold Saturday, 06 Jun 2009 11:42 AM
    gumtree.... I really hope you get in. Those websites are out of date info wise, but still useful. The current ranger is Geoff and his wife is (damn, I always forget her name). We've been going there for 8-9 years, probably been there about 20 times for camping trips. In fact, we've never camped anywhere else because it is perfect there (unless you hate dust and dirt lol).

NOrmally, the river has a shallow rocky section, another part that is waist deep for a 10yo, and another section that is great for adults/teenagers/supervised children (too deep to touch the bottom in the middle).

You can camp overlooking the river, so depending on the ages of your kids, they can go down to the water and you can watch them from the campsite (not littlies, obviously).

Fingers crossed they aren't booked out but i'd call them first thing in the morning. They may not answer the phone before 8, but I'd start phoning from 7 if I were you.

Really making me wish I'd arranged a camping w/e now :-(
    Member since 2008
    #10 by shocker444 Saturday, 06 Jun 2009 5:28 PM
    Somerset or try Neurum creek.http://www.ncbr.com.au/

Sorry I dont know how to do a link Neurum Creek has hot showers, toilets, set below beautiful mountain (climbing or walks tracks), BMX track, great water holes amongnst the fresh water creek, a couple of game sites kids, DVD night, Wine tasting this weekend I think, the best green grass I have ever seen lol. Powered sites.
    Member since 2006
    #11 by CardBiz Saturday, 06 Jun 2009 7:06 PM
    Dirty Weekends in South East Qld.
    If you like to camp fairly often this book is a great resource, it has distances and gps co-ordinates and some great trips to do. A lot of the camping sites also have 2WD access if you dont have a 4WD. We are working our way through the book!

http://www.dirtyweekends.com.au/ It is also available in most camping shops.
    Bron.
    Member since 2007
    #12 by Gumtree-Kids Saturday, 06 Jun 2009 10:10 PM
    Thanks for all the replies everyone.

Somerset has spots, but was a last resort as it is more open and touristy than we wanted.
    Neuram creek a bit more expensive than we wanted - and most likely booked out.
    flanagans reserve fully booked out.

Pretty much everywhere booked out.
    But, the spot we originally wanted now has one site available, so we are off there. We've seen some really nice spots we will be looking at for future, especially flanagans and binna burra.

So I'm off now.
    Have a great long weekend everyone.
    Member since 2006
    #13 by gold Saturday, 06 Jun 2009 10:20 PM
    Have a great time gumtree :-)
    Member since 2005
    #14 by mykoalabear Sunday, 07 Jun 2009 1:46 AM
    I've found the site at  Bonzle  quite useful. There are many categories including Lakes and Dams,  Forestry Reserves, Reefs and Fishing Spots etc. A basic map of each selected location is helpful, and it covers all states.

Paul
    Member since 2007
    #15 by Gumtree-Kids Tuesday, 09 Jun 2009 4:36 AM
    Thanks Gold :)

Had a great weekend, didn't want to come home, lol
    Only just turned the computer on, even though we've been home for 4 hours

The kids loved it - was our very first camping trip as a family - the creek was flowing and we could see where it flooded (rather high) with the last lot of heavy rain we had 2 (?) weeks ago.
    Took some great photos.
    It rained for about half hour Sunday morning, but it blew over and the sun dried everything out and then all the kids in the camp had fun sliding down mud banks and splashing in the creek.

can't wait to go back, hopefully for longer next time. It was great to escape from lights, TV, computer, phone, everything.

Thanks again everyone for all the info, we are keen to try other camping spots that are bush orientated.

Cheers
Displaying 1 to 15 of 15 messages